Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chapter 10 The Price to Pay

Aria started on the salon set-up as soon as she had officially sent in her resignation to Alicia. A part of her regretted that it didn't turn out differently, if her family hadn't been who they were, she knew they would have been close. The second bedroom was styled into Aria's salon room, something she felt bad about because the reason the room was there was for any children they might have. However they couldn't afford to expand yet, so it was their it had to be.

 Hunter and Aria had considered moving, but they decided what's the point? This place was theirs and to be honest they both loved it. Aria lost a few customers with the switch over which hurt but most of her list came over with her. Most of them were impressed and pleased she had dared to open her own business so young, Aria thought that she forgot most of the time that she was only nineteen. It seemed so much had already happened to her in such a short space of time. Hunter was still busy with his books and he had now surpassed his own goal of earning 4,000 simeloens worth of royalties a week. It was 4,222 to be exact, he kept writing but didn't really feel the need for so much press as he was such a renowned author. His newest book The Thief who Stole Everything was a best-seller as well. Constance told Hunter she had, had an offer to buy the manuscript for a movie but Hunter politely declined saying movies always ruined books.  

Spring was coming to its ends and it was on one of the simmering hot days that Aria was relaxing on the couch when the doorbell chimed.

 "Maybe's it’s a customer," Hunter called from his desk.
 "On a Sunday?" Aria asked in disbelief, regretfully moving her body away from the couch.
 Opening the door she was surprised to see her Aunt Alicia on the other side, a sense of dread sunk itself into Aria's heart. 

"Hi Aria, you don't mind if I come in do you?" she questioned, walking through the door anyway. 
Hunter looked up, "Oh this is my husband Hunter, Hunter Alicia," she introduced them. 
Hunter stood up giving Aria a worried look, "Nice to meet you," he said. 
"You too," Alicia replied cheerfully but something about it felt fake to Aria. 

Hunter must have sensed something to because he quickly made an excuse to leave, "I have to meet Constance," he explained before leaving. 
Aria turned to Alicia, "So can I get you something tea, coffee," she offered feeling self-conscious of her home as Alicia inspected it. 
Alicia shook her head, "No Aria that isn't necessary," she said taking a seat. 
Nervously Aria sat down next to her, "So what brings you here?" Aria questioned Alicia lightly. 
"Look I hate to be the one to do this but sometimes things just work out that way you know. My sister Ariel bless her soul had a thing about our family and I only hope she didn't pass it onto you," Alicia told her looking at Aria's reaction. 

Aria remembered the one and only conversation she had ever had with her birth-mother and remembered her exact words. "Aria I love you, you’re my daughter but I can't see you, if they know you exist they'll get their claws into you and they won't let go. My family never forgives Aria and they never forget." 
Now all of a sudden Aria could see the wisdom in her words and she didn't hate her quite so much. "Look, I went looking for my biological mother and I found Ariel and that satisfied my curiosity. I'm quite happy with my real parents and my real family," Aria told Alicia emphasizing the key words. 

Alicia sniffed obviously not impressed, "Aria come now, we're blood you carry our genes we just want you to be part of the family. Just give us a chance," Alicia said to her. 

Aria could hear her bio mother's words ringing through her head no she wouldn't let them get her claws into her. Alicia already proved she didn't like Hunter, she would not let them control her life.
 "I'm not interested, thank you for everything you've done but I didn't ask for it. I just want to live my life as I have been," she told her firmly. 
"Aria, I am sorry my father tried very hard to gain custody of you but Ariel made sure you completely disappeared, she changed your name and everything. We only just found you again, you were father and mother's first granddaughter and they just want to meet you," Alicia explained to Aria and Aria was certain she was trying to guilt her into meeting them. 

"I'm sorry I can't," Aria repeated looking away. 

Alicia's features hardened and she stood up, Aria followed her to the door. 
Alicia turned to face Aria, "I hope you realize what you're doing, you can't just leave this family."
 "I think I just did," Aria responded. 
"There's always a price to pay are you sure you're ready to pay it?" Alicia taunted. 
This stopped Aria in her tracks, she knew what they were capable of. No Aria thought, they're just trying to scare me.
 "Of course, it was nice seeing you Alicia," Aria said coldly shutting the door. 

The dread increased when she told Hunter what had happened. "You did the right thing, they have no right to play with our lives," Hunter assured her, but Aria didn't think they were the type of people to make empty threats. As much as she didn't want to she decided to do some research, what she found shocked her.  Apparently the Amador family, her family funded every criminal organization on the mainland. In fact any drug deal, car jack, anything like that happened, you can be sure the Amador's money was behind it. However they couldn't jail them with anything solid, lots of lesser people took the blame in the ranks and apparently nobody could get into the inner sanctum, for only family resided there. It increased Aria's worry ten fold for maybe Alicia was right there was going to be a price. 
A phone call a couple of days later from Maria confirmed it. "Aria, I'm sorry I didn't know what to do they just barged in and took him, I tried calling the police but they have custody," Maria said through the phone, so fast Aria could barely understand her but she got the gist of it. 

"Maria calm down, what happened?" Aria asked worried. 
"Joseph Ariel's family took him, he's gone to live with them," she replied.
 I closed my eyes, if they couldn't have one of the children why not take the other one. Aria spent the next half an hour trying to calm Maria down and at the same time control her own guilt.  

"I'll just go to Alicia tell her I want to be part of it," she told Hunter. 
"Are you sure?" Hunter questioned. 
Aria considered it, it was like selling her soul to the devil but she had been selfish all her life but this time she couldn't chose herself over Joseph. 
"Yes, I have to," Aria said to him. 
Hunter nodded, "Good because I think it’s the right thing to do, but Aria you have to make them promise to leave Joseph alone." 
"I know," Aria replied, before her phone ringing stopped the conversation. 
"Hello," Aria said nervously since it was a number she had never seen. 
"Are you Aria Zion?" the man's voice asked. 
"Yes," Aria replied worried now because she knew that voice it was a pity voice. 
"I'm sorry but theirs been a terrible accident your parents were involved in a hit and run, I'm sorry they didn't make it," he informed her. 

Aria dropped the phone not understanding or processing what had just happened. She curled up on the floor replaying the man's words over and over, I'm sorry they didn't make it. 

She didn't know what possessed her to check her phone when it buzzed in her pocket but she wished she hadn't. The single sentence struck her with anger guilt and fear, she didn't have to ask who it was from. If we can't have our family, you can't have yours.  

2 comments:

  1. OMG. That's so sad. Poor Aria. :( That last message on her phone was concerning "If we can't have our family, you can't have yours" Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading :) and it was sad I kind of was undecided about the last part, but then I thought it fitted the family so unfortunately for Aria that's what happened.

      Delete